Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Am I a circus clown or just busy?

How many "balls" should I have in the air at once? I've been asking myself this all day and really, I must admit, it is just too damn many! Can you tell I'm a bit frazzled... perhaps even dazzled by women who seem to do it better than I. (Oh, don't let me fool you, I know it's all perception and really, the "balls" hit us in the head sooner or later... :)


Hubby who goes on last minute business trips; two kids going to two different preschools so mommy gets to drive about 2 hours every day back and forth; renos from hell - no seriously - we've been walking on sub floor for 8 months and we only have one bathroom with a door; working nights to afford the renos; the usual cooking, cleaning, laundry that never ends with 3 boys in the house; me. Now I do realize that "me" at the end looks bad but I'm working every day at giving priority to 45 minutes for "me" - walking, running, weights, yoga, whatever. It just feels crazy to pack so much in but I'm not the first and certainly not the last.


So here is my question - how do you get it all done without feeling like you need to sacrifice "me"? Here are my thoughts -


1. Prioritize once a day. Make a list at the beginning knowing the limitations that it doesn't all need to happen today. Pick 2 + you. That's three. Easy.

2. Build pillars. Pillars include (at least for me) exercise, eating well, 30 minutes of quiet time, and good rest. Its been studied, wrote about, tried and tried again - do these things every day consistently and you can't help to be happier, more energetic and feel like you get more done.


3. Let it slide. Listen, we all need a dose of reality now and then. Do you really need to scub the grout on the shower that the window people are guaranteed not to see? No. Trust me, they won't judge you and you shouldn't judge yourself either.


4. Get up just a little earlier. I've been working on this one lately. I listened to a podcast on Hip Tranquil Chick with Kimberely Wilson & her guest Anne Thiel discussing ayurveda 101. She recommended to get up just a bit earlier and watch the difference in energy levels. Although I work till 11:30pm, getting up just 30 minutes before the boys makes a huge impact on my day. I'm ready before they even get up, have a quiet breakfast or go for a quick walk. I feel much more calm and organized all day.


What are your strategies to get the most out of your day?

1 comment:

Scrumpy said...

I can't even imagine how you moms do it. Every time my clock goes off, I remind myself that I can't even handle two dogs barking some days, let alone a baby. It sounds like you're doing a great job though!